The book marketing writing retreat is a time for you to take stock and look at how you are marketing your work to the broadest possible audience. Over the course of the weekend we will be undertaking a lot of different exercises, all designed to help you create a plan that works for you and your book. With this in mind there are several things you need to prepare in advance and bring along.
- Bring along some sort of computer, laptop or mobile device you can work with.
- Make sure you write down or remember all the passwords and usernames you are likely to need to access things like email (if you need to reset a password!), website or blog, social accounts etc ….
- If you haven’t already done so, set up an email marketing account with a service like Mailchimp, Aweber or Mad Mimi. Most are free to get started. If you already have one, don’t forget your login details.
- Please make sure that your website has some sort of analytics account associated with it. For those using WordPress.com to host their site/blog this is built into the admin panel. If you have your own hosting then you’ll need to make sure that your site has something like Google Analytics installed.
- Set up an account with Google webmaster tools. If you are hosting with WordPress.com, follow the instructions you can find on this page in the WordPress.com help section. If you are hosting your site yourself you will need to set up an account at Google Webmaster Tools and ask your web developer to authorise it with your account, if it hasn’t already been done.
- Set up an account at Amazon Author Central if you haven’t already done so. You will also need to claim your books as well. Depending on how they have been published this may mean asking your publisher to verify your authorship.
- Print out and bring along a good quality cover image for your book, at least A5 size. Bring along a couple of copies if you are happy to have someone review it for you.