It would be difficult to imagine anyone who hasn’t heard of Facebook these days. It is one of the worlds top social networking sites, regularly trouncing even the mighty Google in the rankings. And yet, most people still think of it as something for the younger generation, where they talk about their latest adventures and mis-adventures with their friends. It is true that the vast majority of people use it purely to keep in contact with the people that they know, and yet, there is an vast untapped reserve of opportunity awaiting those who decide to take it one step further.
Did you know for instance, that:
- Facebook has more than 936 million daily users
- 50% of their active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- The average user has 130 friends
- It has been translated into over 70 different languages
- About 82%+ of Facebook users are outside the United States and Canada
and that, contrary to popular opinion, over 60% of the users are aged over 26 and the fastest growing group are those in the aged 35-44.
It seems almost that Facebook is starting to come of age, and it’s no longer possible to ignore the potential it provides the entrepreneur.
So, what exactly are the easy things to do with Facebook?
- Create a page or a group for your company or organisation. Share it with your friends and add information to it regularly and in a short space of time you’ll have a group of people who are specifically interested in the things you are sharing with them.
- Try advertising on Facebook. You can closely set the demographics to location, age, gender etc…. There have also been rumours that Facebook Ads are more effective than Google Ads.
- Share videos, photos and more that show off your products and services to your fans and friends. You can also use the space as an education resource with links to ‘how to’ guides for instance.
- If you are running an event, add it to Facebook, you can then share the invitation with specific groups of people
- Add a link or ‘fan box’ to your own website as well – this lets people know you’re there and they can share it with their friends too!