Friday Fictioneers – The Grapevine

This week’s offering for Madison Woods Friday Fictioneers challenge is back to just me, Linda. When I first saw this weeks picture I was initially stumped but it was the title ‘Grapevine’ that eventually gave me an idea rather than the picture itself. Feedback and suggestions welcome πŸ™‚

This week’s photo is titled Grapevine and is copyright to Roxann Phillips .

*********************************************************

No-one would tell her who had accused her; no-one would tell her who had told her husband. It seemed the village grapevine had done its worst and condemned her without judge and jury for a crime she had never committed.

He left the house the same day, her pleas for clemency falling on closed ears.

They came in their hundreds to watch her burn that night; chants of “the witch is burning” rang loud throughout the night until all that was left were ashes.

And then, another baby died ……

(90 Words)

********************************************************

The idea behind Friday Fictioneers is that you submit a 100 word flash fiction story associated with the picture challenge added the previous Wednesday. You can read the other submissions this week on Madison’s Blog here: madison-woods.com/index-of-stories/grapevines/. There is also a Facebook Page too specially for Friday Fictioneers and you can find it here: www.facebook.com/FridayFictioneers.

If you’d like to know the rules then this is the page to visit:madison-woods.com/friday-fictioneers; and finally, if you’d like to read my previous attempts you can find them all listed here: womanontheedgeofreality.com/tag/friday-fictioneers/

61 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers – The Grapevine

1. raina says:

holy poos….sucks to be her!! I always get really angry when people are wrongly accused and then when they find out i always feel like SEE!! πŸ™‚

2. Karen says:

how do you actually go a bout this? I have read the rules and everything. Do I just write it on my blog with the picture and then submit the link to her or do I need to register myself somehow with hr first? Sorry for asking you but I read she works on Friday so I thought it would be pointless asking her. Any help would be truly appreciated πŸ™‚ Thanks πŸ™‚

Hi Karen, not at all. You create a new post with your story and often a link or a copy of the picture (I tend to link to the picture) on your blog, most of us do them Thursday or Friday but a few do them over the weekend too. Then you head over the relevant page on Madison’s Blog, almost all participants will have linked to it and you can see my link at the top of this weeks story. She has a little ‘widget’ installed on her post called InkyLink and you click ‘add your link’, put in your details and bingo … you’re in. The trick is to comment on as many others as you have time for because this is how you’ll get the feedback as well. I find I comment over the whole weekend and on Monday morning too because people are filtering in from different time zones all the time. It works really well as it’s opened up a whole new avenue of reading for me that I would never have thought to buy before. When you add your first comment you will see how other people do it – have a look at Raina’s and Joanna’s comments that they left here before you and you’ll get the idea. Good luck and let me know when you get started as I’ll find you and support you πŸ™‚

3. rochellewisoff says:

A sad commentary on a very dark chapter of history. Well done.
    Thanks for commenting on mine. #3 on the list this week.

One the one hand I’m really pleased by the reaction because it meant that the story was effective, on the other I’m so sorry I made you feel like that because of what does still happen πŸ™‚

• boomiebol says:

Oh no apologies. Your story did what stories should…make an effective impact. Unfortunately like you said it still happens. Well done really with this one πŸ™‚

4. Adam Ickes says:

I couldn’t imagine living in a time like that. My writings would have certainly had me accused of being a witch, then they’d burn me and I’d have to come back and haunt them and no one would be happy. Hmm, guess I could imagine living in a time like that. Nce story by the way.

5. readinpleasure says:

OMG LInda. I felt myself burning with her. How terrible that they never believed her. This goes to show that in every situation, we should never underestimate the power of the grapevine or rumour. But I am happy she was vindicated, though too late. A very good write, Linda. Thumbs up!

6. rgayer55 says:

Linda,
    Your story brought back memories of reading the Scarlet Letter when in high school. Witchcraft was always deemed worse than adultry, although death might be preferred to being shunned as a social outcast for the remainder of one’s life. Very well crafted story.

7. Gilly Gee says:

Linda this is really good. This could have happened many times couldn’t it? I love the setting you have used, its fascinating. I’m sure I would have been one of those women at the stake just for opening my mouth!

I’m really pleased you thought it intense Kris – my partner said to me yesterday he was a little concernced about my ‘darker side’ coming through πŸ™‚

8. Lora says:

Your story brought to mind the Scarlet Letter, the Salem Witchhunts in Mass and the recent stoning of a woman in the Middle East supposedly for adultery. Plus, your last line made me gasp. Well done. I’m 68 on the list.

I know, it’s a dreadful indictment of both the past and the present that it has and does still happen Susan – I’m really glad you stopped by too πŸ™‚

9. vbholmes says:

Quick question: Was she accused of causing babies’ deaths? Did the baby’s death prove her innocence or was it perceived as proof that she was a witch? Thought-provoking story.

Ah, the reader has to make up their own mind I think. Personally I had it that she had been accused of witch-craft which must have been as a result of a baby’s death – probably her own which is why her husband was so unforgiving. Thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚