Friday Fictioneers – Reality brought forth

On Tuesday I posted about how I felt about negative reviews on Amazon UK and amongst the many comments received was one from a friend of mine here in Dorset, Harvey Taylor (of www.socraticprojects.com) who suggested, rather than abandon fiction altogether that perhaps we consider writing something together, starting with a short story. So, this week’s offering for Madison Woods Friday Fictioneers challenge is a collaborative effort between Harvey and I; I wonder if you can spot which line belongs to which person?

This week’s photo is titled Outside Pecos and is very kindly offered by Amanda Gray.

*********************************************************

The ruined building, lonely and frail, said it all; the past is another country and it was one she no longer had a passport to.

Yet, paradoxically, beneath the broken tiles, like a memento of a fractured relationship, lay an ancient gold locket; the key to her imminently bizarre fate. All she had to do was find it; locate and activate it before others arrived to capture her in their web of deceit once more.

She stretched, clasped, undid the alien lock, and was transported to a universe where the Higgs boson was made of marmite and beetroot was edible.

********************************************************

I enjoyed this exercise very much because I’m normally someone who likes to control everything – with this all I had to do was think of the next sentence and then wait to see what came back …. πŸ™‚ Our next challenge is to decide if we want to collaborate on a longer story – but I think we may see more of Harvey’s unique character here on Friday Fictioneers too.

The idea behind Friday Fictioneers is that you submit a 100 word flash fiction story associated with the picture challenge added the previous Wednesday. You can read the other submissions this week on Madison’s Blog here: madison-woods.com/index-of-stories/outside-pecos/. There is also a Facebook Page too specially for Friday Fictioneers and you can find it here: www.facebook.com/FridayFictioneers.

If you’d like to know the rules then this is the page to visit:madison-woods.com/friday-fictioneers; and finally, if you’d like to read my previous attempts you can find them all listed here: womanontheedgeofreality.com/tag/friday-fictioneers/

50 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers – Reality brought forth

You are absolutely right Doug, that was definitely Harvey and if you knew him you’d realise just how left field he can be. I shall go make the change and as always, thanks for the encouragement and the improvement suggestions, they are always appreciated πŸ™‚

1. erinleary says:

I think you did the opening sentence and it went back an forth from there. Regardless, it’s an enjoyable tale with more to come, I suspect.

Mine is #15 on the list this week.

2. elmowrites says:

Let’s start with today’s piece, Linda. It’s an interesting experiement to swap between two writers – you often lose the vision and consistency of a single piece. This one seems to hold onto it, so congratulations to you both. There are some fascinating lines here. I must be honest, and say I’m not sure about the final few words – the Higgs Boson thing threw me off and that distracted me from the drama and interest of the rest of the piece.
    I’m so glad you pressed on with fiction. I read your other post and was very saddened. Press on with it, and don’t listen to out and out dissenters (constructive criticism is useful, outright criticism much less so). People who picked up your story for free, probably chose it because of that, without necessarily being people who would enjoy that genre. Read their comments bearing that in mind – yes, you may not appeal to everyone, but if you appeal to some, you are making a success of yourself and your writing. And that is something to celebrate!

What a wonderful response to both my posts and thank you for being so understanding. You’d have to know Harvey to ‘get’ the whole Higgs Bosun thing and I know what you mean about the ‘curved ball’ it threw but hey, we worked it out (I think). You were also right, as was everyone else that commented, the reality is that people pick things up because they are free and not because they are necessarily interested in them. Would I do it again? Probably, but only because it did work to advance the book further up the rankings on Amazon and who knows where that may lead. Since writing the post my ‘worldview’, if you can call it that has changed completely as a result of the comments and advice that everyone has given – I feel much more level headed about it and that has made an enormous difference to how I feel about the book and about myself πŸ™‚

3. beebeesworld says:

Thank you for your comments and encouragement on my 100 word challenge blog, Adobe Dreams” I have written several shirt sties and prose on similar themes…who knows, maybe I will get inspired and write more! I will follow your blog and hope you will follow mine as well.

You’re very welcome and given the amount of support I’ve had for my fiction recently I think it’s only fair that I share some of the love around too – especially when I particularly enjoy something πŸ™‚

4. Stacy Bennett-Hoyt (@Rowanwolf66) says:

I really really liked this!! And this was a terrific line: actually made me stop reading to say “Wow”: the past is another country and it was one she no longer had a passport to.

A lot of story line in such a short space, masterfullly rendered feelings and delightful prose description. Bravo.

5. Madison Woods says:

Haha, I’m with Harvey. In this world, beetroot is certainly NOT edible. When my love returns from Afghanistan, we have some joint writing projects in mind. I’ll be curious to see how I do with that… Now I’m heading over to see what those negative reviews were all about.

It certainly was an interesting experience and curiously liberating Madison – just one sentance at a time, that was all I had to think of and it worked out wonderfully. There is definitely room for that old adage that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts methinks πŸ™‚

6. susanscottsa says:

ooo this all looks so interesting! Will be checking this all out in next few days. The webpage is excellent! Thank you for this … so pleased to have found it.