Friday Fictioneers – Revenge is a dish best served cold

Over the last few weeks I’ve shown a very soft side to my weekly post for Madison Woods Friday Fictioneers challenge and this time I decided to explore my darker side to see if I can actually tap into it. The picture is perfect to do this and I was inspired by something immediately I saw it.

*********************************************************

The bowl of juicy raspberries sat on the kitchen table all night and no-one touched them.

She was surprised as the hordes that invaded her kitchen nightly usually devoured everything within reach to satisfy the munchies that came after the all-night parties and binge-drinking.

Being patient, she knew eventually they would succumb to their aroma. Perhaps her music hadn’t been loud enough to force them from their beds with loud protestations of “someone’s sleeping here y’know”.

Eventually she was satisfied as one by one they dropped like stones into a bucket of water with barely a ripple to mark their passing.

********************************************************

The idea behind Friday Fictioneers is that you submit a 100 word flash fiction story associated with the picture challenge added the previous Wednesday. You can read the other submisions this week on Madison’s Blog here: http://madison-woods.com/flash-fiction/forbidden-100-words/. There is also a Facebook Page too specially for Friday Fictioneers and you can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/FridayFictioneers.

If you’d like to know the rules then this is the page to visit: http://madisonwoods.wordpress.com/flash-fiction/friday-fictioneers/; and finally, if you’d like to read my previous attempts you can find them all listed here: https://womanontheedgeofreality.com/tag/friday-fictioneers/

40 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers – Revenge is a dish best served cold

1. Lady Marilyn Kay Dennis says:

You did explore your dark side this week, didn’t you? Good work.

I noticed that you still have the “pathways” page for Madison (after your story). Perhaps change it to “forbidden”, so that this weeks stories can be seen?

In case someone else is having the same technical problems with the Inlinkz thingy as I am, here’s mine: http://marilynkaydennis.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/madison-woods-friday-fictioneers-brambles/

2. Stacey says:

Nice to see the ol’ witch has moved away from apples. 🙂 A little concerned as to why she seems to have no emotional connection with the hordes that invade her kitchen. Is one of these creatures a relative? Or does she forget to lock the door at night and random strangers enter her abode? I liked the “barely a ripple mourning their passing” although I had to read the sentence twice to catch that the invaders were like stones in a bucket, and not actually dropping into water themselves.

Mine’ll be around tomorrow if you want to take a look (plowright.wordpress.com).

Thanks Stacey – I think she was a frustrated and irritated mother who had finally had enough .. unfortunately there wasn’t enough word allowance to mention digging a grave or two 🙂 I shall be along to have a read shortly 🙂

3. Jan Brown says:

Quite a dark side, my dear! I had the same reading of that last bit, had to read it twice to get the meaning. Now your evil protagonist will get respite from the teenaged hordes!

Of course I’m one of the nice ones Doug and appreciate the suggestions which I have now implemented too. Thanks for the lovely comment too 🙂

4. Carrie says:

Too, me a few reads to fully see it. I wasn’t expecting that ending, even though you said you were going dark. Clearly someone has had enough of the lazy party -all-night people

5. Lora says:

My thoughts are going all over the place with questions. Who are they and why do they party all night? Why were they camping out in her house? Did she poison them? Murder them? Etc? Sorry, one can only do so much with 100 words. Well done. I’m on the list.

She definitely murdered them and I think she’s their mother who has finally snapped and thanks for all the questions, makes me think I did a good job 🙂

6. Brian Benoit says:

I put pauses in the wrong place when I read your final sentence, ha, but I’m on board now (I thought they were literally dropping into a bucket of water). I love the cold calculated patience of your protagonist, and the mystery of who these people are and why she has to endure their partying is great (if I were to make a very dark guess indeed, I’d say they’re her adult children). However it works, a great story!

Brian (http://pinionpost.com/2012/06/29/the-tenants/)

As it happens I do a lot of picked fruit Madison – we have loads of it in our garden and growing wild locally, hopefully I’ll never get to breaking point where I put something in it though LOL 🙂