Friday Fictioneers – Gramp’s and Me

Gramp’s and Me is my take on this weeks photo prompt for Friday Fictioneers, the weekly challenge to writers and bloggers set by the amazing Madison Woods on her blog which you can find at Madison-Woods.com.

Damsel Fly

*********************************************************

Gramp’s and me spent hours in his workshop.

I remember my neck would crick as I looked up at him sitting at his workbench on the old bar stool he’d found in a skip, from my place on the upturned bucket in the corner; watching in wonder as he wove brightly coloured threads round silky fine wires into shapes that defied description. His pudgy fingers danced around the vice with their tweezers like they were half their size, coaxing and shifting threads into place.

And then, an afternoon of companionable silence while we waited to bait the trout we’d have for supper.

********************************************************

The idea behind Friday Fictioneers is that you submit a 100 word flash fiction story associated with the picture challenge added the previous Wednesday. You can read the other submisions this week on Madison’s Blog here: madison-woods.com/flash-fiction/damsel-fly/. There is also a Facebook Page too specially for Friday Fictioneers and you can find it here: facebook.com/FridayFictioneers.

If you’d like to know the rules then this is the page to visit: madison-woods.com/flash-fiction/friday-fictioneers/; and finally, if you’d like to read my previous attempts you can find them all listed here: womanontheedgeofreality.com/2012/06/17/fiction-central-and-friday-fictioneers/

65 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers – Gramp’s and Me

I’ve only ever watched a true craftsman make fishing lures once and they are absolutely beautiful when they are finished – it always seemed sad to me that they were used to catch fish 😦

I have to hold my hand up and say ‘non’ I’ve never fished but I have watched while someone made lures and I loved spending time my Nana πŸ™‚

I’m glad I found a fellow ‘word sound person’ – some words just sound amazing and others like nothing they are supposed to be at all ….. πŸ™‚

1. mahjira says:

I like this sweet stroll down memory lane. It reminds me of my grandpa – not fishing, but in his garage tinkering with cars or gadgets. Thank you for taking me along!

2. Lora says:

What a sweet, tender story. No empty words necessary but a feeling of companionship, unspoken love and tenderness between a boy and his grandpa…working, then going fishing. The boy will remember these moments for eternity. Beautiful.

Now for me that is a great compliment because I too love stories that create pictures – without them I’m lost so thanks so much for telling me that πŸ™‚

3. rich says:

no sir. ” shapes that defied description.” you’re the writer. you don’t get to gloss over it that easily. it’s your job to find the description.

I was hoping he wouldn’t notice … but I was caught out. Have tried a different tack in a reply to his challenge. I shall be more careful next time …. πŸ™‚

4. Brandon Scott says:

Companionable silence is right I’m my alley. I’m not much of a talker. I have a feeling I would get along splendidly with Gramps. Nice story!

5. Kathy McClure says:

You know my grandpa never made his own lures so it was great to be shown how artful it is. I love the description of his pudgy fingers dancing. Perfect read on a Sunday afternoon!

6. Brian Benoit says:

Very nice. Watching flies being made is actually pretty interesting, intricate work, and you captured it well! The idea of his fingers seeming too large for the task, and yet being perfectly adept at it, gives me a great sense of the Grandpa character and the young one’s reverence for him.