Friday Fictioneers – Visiting Granny’s

Friday Fictioneers is a weekly challenge to writers and bloggers set by the amazing Madison Woods on her blog which you can find at MadisonWoods.wordpress.com. Madison is kind enough to share one of her photographs as a prompt and those taking part are encouraged to write a 100 word story – yep, that’s right just 100 words.

*********************************************************

‘Tra la la, tra la le off to Granny’s I will be’ Redding sang at the top of her voice as she careened down the path, basket swinging wildly and threatening to pitch all the contents out into the grassy edges.

Singing always helped her make the best of a very bad day and she was trying to forget the row she’d had with Dad that morning when he forced her to visit Gran.

Mind you a bit of bribery worked every time and she’d be extra good if it meant getting to the party at Matt’s house on Saturday.

It wasn’t that she didn’t love Gran she thought; it was just the old person smell that went along with her. That and the dog which always snarled when she arrived. She was sure it would eat her if Gran wasn’t there to stop it.

********************************************************

The idea behind Friday Fictioneers is that you submit a 100 word flash fiction story associated with the picture challenge added the previous Wednesday. You can read the other submisions this week on Madison’s Blog here: http://madisonwoods.wordpress.com/flash-fiction/pathways/. There is also a Facebook Page too specially for Friday Fictioneers and you can find it here:Β http://www.facebook.com/FridayFictioneers.

If you’d like to know the rules then this is the page to visit:Β http://madisonwoods.wordpress.com/flash-fiction/friday-fictioneers/; and finally, if you’d like to read my previous attempts you can find them all listed here: https://womanontheedgeofreality.com/tag/friday-fictioneers/

52 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers – Visiting Granny’s

1. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Linda,

Change ditch to pitch and capitalize ‘granny’s’ in the fist paragraph.

Beyond those two items, I think your modern take on LRRH was wonderful and perfect for the prompt.

Aloha,

Doug

2. V.L. Gregory says:

Loved your take on LLRH–I understand the reluctance to visit Granny. Young people are sooooooo busy and involved–it’s not that they don’t care. I enjoy my 10 grandchildren but, as they get older, I see how time slips away from them into more “important” things. It’s life. Well done!

Thanks for visiting mine.

Thanks JK – in fact I’m very mindful of the whole ‘out of the mouths of babes’ at the moment because I’m coming across some very funny instances where children are saying just what you don’t want to hear. πŸ™‚

3. Scott Hays says:

I agree with you … those who think teenagers used to be more mindful and respectful are victims of wishful thinking; but this is a modern Red and she’s about to meet her comeuppance. It seems that you left out the word “a” in the only sentence of the second paragraph (“make the best of A very bad day”), and I think Doug’s suggestions were useful now that you’ve followed them. Otherwise, the story flows well and could be expanded as a screenplay for either “Once Upon A Time” or “Grimm”. Anyone interested can find mine at http://scottcheck.blogspot.com/2012/06/no-escape.html

4. Madison Woods says:

Love your story, Linda. Red Riding Hood is one of my favorite tales, LOL. Hey, can we adopt your icon for the FF page on Facebook? It’s pretty awesome. Karen saw it and posted about it to me, too πŸ˜‰ Let me know over on the FB page or message me because with my new site I don’t get to see when a reply has been made to my comments 😦

I’d be honoured Madison and thanks so much for asking as well and I’m particularly fond of RRH myself – just waiting to see if they include her in the Once Upon a Time series on TV at the moment.