Friday Fictioneer’s – Painting Creation

This post is for the weekly challenge set by Madison Woods called Friday Fictioneers. The idea is that you submit a 100 word flash fiction story associated with the picture challenge added the previous Wednesday. You can find out more, and see the picture, on Madison’s Blog here: http://madisonwoods.wordpress.com/flash-fiction/moon-and-sky/

***************************************************************************

Her students had departed; fearing the coming rain would damage hours of canvas work. Only she had stayed to capture the fractured light as it changed.

The rain pelted down, changing the nature of each brush stroke as she applied oil on canvas; colours and shapes swirling madly, developing then dissolving to become something else entirely.

‘Perhaps this is how the world was created’ she thought.’ Perhaps we’re all part of an ever-changing canvas on which God places his brush’

His voice was rich ‘if I didn’t know better I’d say that the eye of God was watching you’.

****************************************************************************

49 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneer’s – Painting Creation

1. WriteForACause.Org says:

that is a nice one you have there, too!
    the feeling of painting….the canvas, which made the girl think of God when He made the Earth….great!

I think I surprised myself by understanding the artist wanting to finish the painting and then becoming entranced by what was developing before her too – seems kind of odd but normal if you know what I mean 🙂

2. Michael Fishman says:

I liked this a lot and I had the thought that maybe the painter was a god creating a new world out of the swirling colors. The voice at the end confused me though. I wasn’t sure where/who it was coming from and that took me out of the story somewhat.

“developing then dissolving to become something else entirely.” That’s so true of people. How many times does someone become someone else once we get to know them?

Mine is here:

I’m a fan of perspective and applying it in different ways and your way of looking at my piece really intrigued me as I hadn’t seen in that light, so thank you very muchly 🙂

As I’ve read some of the comments I find myself wondering about him too and whether he is God speaking to (or through) her – perhaps I’ll do a complete story one day and see what happens 🙂

3. siobhanmuir says:

I really liked this line ” Perhaps we’re all part of an ever-changing canvas on which God places his brush”. Indeed, I think we are. Nicely done, Linda. 🙂

Thanks for commenting on mine 🙂

Siobhan

4. Lora says:

I wonder why she would stay and continue knowing the inclement weather would destroy it. To me it’s not plausible that a serous painter/artist would allow it. Most I know, would do anything to protect their work. But then again, if you thought like me, you wouldn’t have a story…so bravo. And I’m assuming the last line was/is the “Voice of God.” Thanks for commenting on mine.

I’m not an artist either and i suspect that she got caught out by staying too long – then once the water and oil mixed she became fascinated by the change – well, it’s a theory 🙂

5. Cherryl Chow says:

Really liked what you did here, Linda. Although most artists probably would run for cover to protect their painting, I can also see how someone might stay, fascinated by what the rain is doing to the colors. The voice at the end is really intriguing. I think you might have the beginning of a much longer piece.