The Diva’s Guide To Menopause

Well, I’ve decided to put my money where my mouth is and see if I have any talent whatsoever when it comes to novel writing.

When I read out the first page of my first chapter at a local writers group I belong to, they seemed less than enthusiastic, but then maybe they weren’t the right audience!!!!

Please feel free to download the first chapter here, you can even forward it on to friends and family if you think it’s any good and please, please, please do let me know what you think. You can contact me by emailing me at: linda@lindaph.me or even leave a comment here!

10 thoughts on “The Diva’s Guide To Menopause

1. Donna Roberts says:

Hi, I have just read the first chapter, please keep going! I am not yet going through the menopause but having my TAH last November and being a woman of 36 I know I will be there one day. I will be buying your book when its published or you can send me a free copy(SORRY i am so cheeky).
    I thought it was great and cant wait to read more, as I am abit of a Diva also,lol
    Donna Roberts

2. Sandy Rimell says:

Hi Linda,

I am absoloutely NOT a book reviewer and have no talent in the writing direction (or any other). But……….

It seems to me to be a good start – and personally, so far, totally “real” Have we met?

I am only guessing where you are intending to go with it next. When finished I would, almost certainly, have bought a book with this title 8 years ago and would probably still do so. If only just to see if there is ANY hope.

In view of the title, I don’t imagine it will be marketed at the 20 to 39 age bracket.

Is it going to be a novel or self-help book? Or, a combination of the two? It appears that it could be the latter at the moment.

Anyway, the important thing is…..

When can I read the next chapter?

I want to know more about her relationships, work and personal, what makes her tick and how she will deal with this – lets’s be honest – fairly rubbish time.

All the best.

Sandy

Aged 59, 15 weeks post hyst, knackered, still working full time and will be forced to continue to do so. Interestingly, some of the “youngsters” (including my boss) who laughed at my hot flushes, weight gain, confusion and memory loss etc., are now starting to have the same problems. I am usually sympathetic – but -Ha! Ha!!

Hmm, when it is published, perhaps I could get them the book for Christmas.

3. Cynthia Hocking says:

Linda
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first chapter of your book. It’s easy to read and leaves you wanting more. I look forward to the book release.

4. Elizabeth Kane says:

Very entertaining but also adresses issues that are very true to life.
    I’ll look forward to the real thing.
    Keep going with thebook.

5. Kay says:

Hi Linda, Please keep going with the book. I enjoyed the first chapter and can relate to it all, so very, very well. Easily comparable in quality to “Life of a slummy mummy” and that’s a top 10 book. Temporariliy I have escaped a TAH only by landing smack bang into menopause, how’s that for luck. Good job I have a sense of humour. Best wishes.

6. anne kane says:

the same thing happened to me trying to leave a comment left out
    my name and everything disappeared. loved reading the first chapter. keep it going but dont let her have too many cups of tea, i had to have a cuppa and a nibble while i was reading it and i am fat enough. good luck with the rest of it.

7. Elaine says:

Hi Linda,

I’ve read this a few times now.

I’ll have to stick with my first impression, which was that I found the missing punctuation irritating. Is this the style you intend using or is it down to it being an early draft?

Another thing that caused me to be aware I was reading rather than being absorbed in the story (on the first readthrough though it doesn’t seem so significant now) is the dialogue between the characters; that you sometimes have them use grammatical English but then switch to the “shorthand” people commonly use in everyday conversations.

Other things that struck me –

Not sure about the use of “expertly” when describing Daniel’s teabag handling abilities??? In my original reply to you I’d suggested it was an example of word-padding rather than it adding anything to the scene-setting. My revised opinion is that that was too harsh though I still think it sounds rather strange! But I think you could maybe describe Daniel more fully – I don’t really have a mental image of what he’s like (Other than gay).

Also, I’d question whether a 42 y.o. woman still having sex (assuming she has in the last 3 months) would be unaware that she hadn’t had a period for nearly 3 months. Most people I know would be off to the pharmacy for a pregnancy testing kit, if not after the first missed period, then definitely the second!

On the whole though, I’m now more used to the writing style and would be happy to continue reading the whole thing were it a book I’d bought; I’d like to know what’s going to happen to Daisy.
    I hope you do continue to write the story – I look forward to any more instalments you choose to share with us.

Best Wishes