If you’ve followed this blog for a few weeks now then you probably will have noticed that alongside my writing I’m a social media strategist by profession. I have my own web design and social media management company and I’m forever banging on about how to do this, that or the other when it comes to promoting our books. Now, this doesn’t make me an expert by any means but I thought that perhaps it might be worth sharing on a single page the various posts that might be loosely termed ‘marketing’ of one sort or another.
The first place to visit is my 101 Book Marketing Ideas for Authors post – this is an ongoing project to create a series of hints and tips for all authors who have a book to promote.
The Basics of an Authors Marketing Plan
- 101 Book Marketing Ideas for Authors
- Understanding why anyone will want to read your book
- The most important marketing lesson you’ll ever need to know
- Marketing for Authors & Writers: Social Networking Can Work for Me? Yes it can work for YOU!
- How to set a realistic goal when it comes to your book
- Where are my readers? And other infrequently answered questions for Authors
- How to get your book ready for marketing
- And on the subject of a Marketing Plan for your book ….
- The good, the bad and the downright ugly of marketing books
Tales of t’Internet
Have you ever wondered about that strange phrase ‘SEO’ or search engine optimisation? If so and you are still mystified – let me mystify you a little more with my slightly sideways look at what it is through the mechanism of a fairytale. I plan to add new ‘chapter’ every so often from now on.
- Tales of t’Internet – Len Scleaner the Occularist
- Tales of t’Internet – Stitch the Tailor
- Tales of t’Internet – Lord Google Issues a Decree
- Tales of t’Internet – the feast and the famine
- Through the Kingdom of T’internet and the history of the house of ‘Search’
LinkedIn for Authors and Writers
This is a new section of the blog and one which I hope to expand over the coming months and years.
- The Demise of the LinkedIn Application and the Rise of Rich Media Instead
- LinkedIn Endorsements vs Recommendations
- Which LinkedIn Groups are best for Authors and Writers?
- How Authors and Writers can use LinkedIn Effectively – Applying LinkedIn Applications
- How Authors and Writers can use LinkedIn Effectively – Your Profile
- 4 key behaviours to adopt when posting links in LinkedIn Groups
- Please don’t add me as a connection on LinkedIn unless you REALLY mean it!
- Building Brand YOU with Linkedin
- How to Schedule Status Updates on Facebook
- The Top Ten Facebook Pages Authors and Writers Should be Following
- So, here’s a personal story about how social media works in practice to give you and your business exposure
- Three simple rules to help businesses (and authors) network effectively on Facebook
General Online Marketing Suggestions and Advice
- Which do you prefer? – WordPress.com or WordPress.org
- Missing Presumed Dead – please and thank-you have left the social web
- Having Faith in FREE or feeling the fear and doing it anyway
- On being an Amazon Best Seller – the reality behind the hype
- Six ‘must have’s’ for an author’s website
- 5 top tips to help me blog more effectively
- Do YOU have business social intelligence?
- The Strategy behind the Profile (and 70 slides later ….!)
- The mysterious art of creating the perfect personal brand ….
Off Line Marketing Hints and Tips
- Need a hand to get yourself in front of an audience to promote your book?
- What is the Legal Deposit Scheme and why is it important?
I have written about marketing for years in one form or another and late last year I decided to remove all my businessy posts off this blog and on to my business website at Internet Mentor. In the process I deleted a whole load which were no longer relevant and have kept some in draft format for a mythical time in the future when I get time to go through them in more depth.
I’ve also written four business books:
- LinkedIn Made Easy: Business Social Networking Simplified
- Broadcasting Powerful Messages with Twitter
- Selling Online: A Beginner’s Guide
- How to Build a Brilliant Business with the Internet: 101 essential hints and tips for every small business and entrepreneur